Jill's Reviews > Keowee Valley

Sep 20, 12

bookshelves: romantic-historical-fiction, 2012-debuts, 2012-4-5-5-stars
Read in September, 2012

Debut

Set in the years prior to the War of Independence, this romantic historical fiction will suit readers who love their romance steeped in rich historical detail and lush descriptions of the wilderness of the Blue Ridge Mountains

But for all my gift of Sight, I had never foreseen Jack. He'd come into my world unbidden, a steady, muscled disturbance that had charmed his way onto my land and into my heart.

Quincy (Quinn) MacFadden at twenty-five is a single, wealthy and well-bred lady from Charlestown. Like most MacFadden women (and some of their men) she has the Sight. Both she and her cousin, Owen were orphaned and raised by their grandfather since children. When news comes that Owen, who was believed killed by the Shawnee, is alive Quinn decides to leave Charlestown and head to the frontier to trade for Owen's life. This also presents an opportunity for Quinn to settle on the frontier away from the constraints and expectations of Charlestown society.

Arriving in the Appalachians, Quinn is told that the one man that can guide and help her negotiate her cousin's freedom is Jackson Wolf. Having traded for land in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Quinn begins a settlement while waiting for Jack.

In 1768, the colonies are rife with rumours of an impending war and dangerous times are ahead for settlers with the Regulators. With Wolf being summoned back into service for the British as an interpreter in the coming war, which side will Jack and Quinn (Jack calls her Mac) support? Will they stay and fight or will they commit treason and seek safety elsewhere?

Jack is the ideal historical romantic hero. Half Cherokee, half Irish, he straddles both worlds acting as a part-time translator for the British. His appeal lies not only in his physical appearance but in his kindness and easy manner, offset by a contained ruthlessness, necessary in a time where justice was meted out the hard way.

Hopefully this is a first book in a continuing saga of the life and adventures of Jack and Mac, which would allow Ridge Runner, Jack's full-blood Cherokee brother, to get his story. Though there is a conclusion to Keowee Valley there are also some unanswered questions.

This debut will suit readers who enjoy romantic historical fiction and even American historical romance. It does contain some similar elements, themes, setting, era, characters to the following books.

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati
Under the Same Sky by Genevieve Graham
Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins
MacKinnon's Rangers series by Pamela Clare

Action, adventure, history, romance all come together in this brilliant story. Katherine Scott Crawford's appreciation and love of the setting in the Appalachians shines through in her beautiful and at times, poetic prose.

A very impressive debut.

Steam: 2.5

ARC courtesy of Bell Bridge Books via NetGalley

22 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keowee Valley.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Looking forward to your review and the book release!

message 2: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I can't wait for your review Jill. I've driven through the Blue Ridge mountains a few times! Just beautiful!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Can't wait for your review, this sounds wonderful! And i love romantic books <3

message 4: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ I can't wait for your review, this looks great.

Jill I hesitate to compare it to other similar books as I really don't like to raise expectations, but for readers who loved -

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati
Under the Same Sky by Genevieve Graham

there are many of the same elements in Keowee Valley that I think readers will love.

@ Sandi
This is one I think you'll really enjoy, Sandi.

@ Karla
Her descriptions are so beautiful of this area, Karla. I'd love to see it with my own eyes.

@ Blacky
Thanks Blacky, I hope to have the review up soon.

@ KarLyn
I was really impressed with it, KarLyn.

message 6: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I look forward to your full review, Jill.

Jill Kristen wrote: "I look forward to your full review, Jill."

Thanks Kristen, I should have it posted in the next day or so.

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review! Adding this :)

message 10: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Fabulous review, Jill. This book looks good. I love historical romances.

Rachel the Book Harlot This sounds like it's right up my alley! Great review, Jill! :)

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill @ Blacky
Thanks Blacky!

@ Baba
Thanks B!

@ Kristen
Thankyou Kristen and I hope you enjoy it!

@ Rachel
Thanks Rachel! It's a fabulous story.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Terrific review, Jill! I think I've told you before I'm not a fan of historicals, but I still loved your review. :)

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kelly wrote: "Terrific review, Jill! I think I've told you before I'm not a fan of historicals, but I still loved your review. :)"

Yes I do remember you don't read historicals. But thanks for liking and commenting on my review, Kells!

KatLynne Fantastic review Jilly! This has all the elements I love and with your review and 4.5 rating, it is a must read for me! I live not far from the Blue Ridge Mountains and visit often. A hero that is half Cherokee/half Irish is intriguing along with the time period. I'm really looking forward to this one!

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "Fantastic review Jilly! This has all the elements I love and with your review and 4.5 rating, it is a must read for me! I live not far from the Blue Ridge Mountains and visit often. A hero that i..."

Thankyou KatLynne! Wow, you live near the Blue Ridge Mountains? By the descriptions it sounds beautiful. Really hope you enjoy this, KatLynne!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish As always, Jill, wonderful review!

message 18: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "As always, Jill, wonderful review!"

Thanks Dhes!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Fab review, Jill! Sounds like an interesting story. :o)

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Anna wrote: "Fab review, Jill! Sounds like an interesting story. :o)"

Thanks Anna! It was a really great story.

message 21: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Jill! Sounds like something I would like.

message 22: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill MelissaB wrote: "Great review Jill! Sounds like something I would like."

Thanks Melissa! And yes, I'm pretty sure you'd like this one.

message 23: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Jill wrote: "MelissaB wrote: "Great review Jill! Sounds like something I would like."

Thanks Melissa! And yes, I'm pretty sure you'd like this one."

Unfortunately it's $9.99 on Kindle so I am not sure, I may wait to see if the price goes down.

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill MelissaB wrote: "Jill wrote: "MelissaB wrote: "Great review Jill! Sounds like something I would like."

Thanks Melissa! And yes, I'm pretty sure you'd like this one."

Unfortunately it's $9.99 on Kindle so I am not..."

$9.99 on Kindle
What?! That's such a shame as it'll put off a lot of readers.
It's at NetGalley if you're interested, Melissa.

Jessica Great review, Jill! This sounds like something I would like. :)

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Jessica wrote: "Great review, Jill! This sounds like something I would like. :)"

Thanks Jessica! It's a great read. And I hope the author continues this saga.

message 27: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Great review Jill! I'm with Melissa on this one...way too pricey. I'm hoping that these publishers will take heed and lower their prices now that they've been called on it and have to start refunding people next year!

message 28: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Karla wrote: "Great review Jill! I'm with Melissa on this one...way too pricey. I'm hoping that these publishers will take heed and lower their prices now that they've been called on it and have to start refundi..."

It's such a shame that the price is so expensive. It doesn't do any good for the author or publisher if no one's going to buy it because it's too expensive.

Do check it out when the price drops, Karla. Well worth reading!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle [Helen Geek] Kindle Daily today [01/10/2014]. I'll pick it up. I thought I remembered you talking about how good this is/was!

message 30: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Michelle wrote: "Kindle Daily today [01/10/2014]. I'll pick it up. I thought I remembered you talking about how good this is/was!"

@ Michelle
I really did enjoy this, Michelle. I hope you do as well. :)