Kacey's Reviews > Black City

Black City by Elizabeth  Richards

F 50x66
Sep 15, 12

Read in September, 2012

This is another ARC I received, so I will try to be honest while keeping spoilers to a minimum.

It was difficult for me to decide on a rating for this, because there were parts I liked and parts I didn't like. In the end I must admit that the author has an interesting idea on a popular theme and builds a very convincing world around that idea. I think my favorite part was the mythology of how the Darklings came to be.

The atmosphere is dark and militaristic, and all of the characters felt three-dimensional for me. The side characters added so much to the story. I enjoyed all the different parts of the city explored throughout and how different people lived in them. It really helped me believe that this could be a real place.

This book does focus on some important ideas such as racial discrimination and isolation because you're different. The dual narration was fairly decent, but I thought it was best executed in the climax of the story. I also enjoyed how the author took some risks with shocking moments and surprising plot twists. One plot point in particular kept me guessing for quite a while before it was revealed.

A warning: there are descriptions of gruesome deaths, torture, drug abuse and sexual situations. Although it did feel like they were necessary to tell the story, it's only fair to point it out in case some wish to avoid reading about it.

The romance... I'm honestly getting tired of the love-at-first-sight instant connection that seems to show up in teen fiction so often. There is still development in the romance and road bumps to keep our lovers apart, and I liked some of the other relationships in the story. But I will say that I liked some scenes with Ash and Natalie, and again the climax was very good in developing the relationship.

I would recommend this book to vampire fans who are looking for something a little darker in tone, as well as readers who enjoy unexpected twists and shocking moments in their books.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black City.