Kira Solomon's Reviews > Barefoot

Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand

12091134
Mar 19, 2015

did not like it

I'd give it a half a star if that was possible. In fact, I'm contemplating taking the one star away but I figured I had to give it something. This book disappointed me. (**WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD**) First, the book was all over the place. One minute I'm following Viki, then Brenda, then Melanie, and then Josh... oh and then there are flash backs too, so it just gets confusing most of the time. Second, it didn't end at all the way I wanted it to and that upset me. I thought the story of everyone together at the beach house was sweet but I was really disappointed that Josh comes into their lives (and was SO good with the children) and then just disappears. He was with Melanie for a while and their love is real and genuine and amazing. The man isn't even fathering her child but cares enough about her to touch and kiss her belly?? And she tosses him aside to work things out with her lying, cheating, ba*tard of a husband who wouldn't even be with her if she wasn't pregnant??? It really upset me and made me wish I had left this book on the discount rack at B&N and not bothered paying the $6.00 for it. I left the price sticker on the back of the book to remind me how much money I wasted. It angered me and not only did I waste my time reading it all but now I just feel sad about how it all ended. I want a book that is going to make me feel good when I'm done with it, not like the love train ran over me. ::sigh::
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barefoot.

07/04 marked as: read

Margo Machnik Ditto

message 2: by Vivian (new)

Vivian Gan totally agree.

message 3: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Children's fairy tales are great reads if you're looking for something sweet and satisfying that always ends well. Barefoot, on the otherhand, is a very well written novel for fully grown people. It's real and twisted and multilayered. It tugs at every emotion. It is simply, quite good.

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Hull The lying cheating husband Peter is the reason I felt unsatisfied with this book. I was hoping that Melanie would leave him behind and it wasn't feasible to be with Josh so he could have been a friend she stayed in touch with, but Melanie was so needy. She had no growth and that was disappointing.

Allison I agree, Kira and I'm a "fully grown people" of 43. My regret is that I paid the full price. :-)