Crystal (Kris)'s Reviews > Fathomless

Fathomless by Jackson Pearce

Sep 15, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal, books-reviewed
Read on September 15, 2012

This is my first Jackson Pearce book, and I'm asking myself why it took me so long to discover such an amazing writer. I had heard of Jackson's earlier Fairytale Retellings; somehow, I didn't get around to reading any until now when the shiny cover attracted me. I kid. It's actually the fact that Jackson based this off the original work that compelled me to read this book, and the shiny cover was a bonus. Nevertheless, I am really glad that I picked this up because I am loving Jackson's work!!!

The writing flows beautifully from beginning to end. The characters are engaging, and the plot brewing with mystery and intrigue. Who is Lo, and how did she and her "sisters" end up living underwater? I love how the story is told from the alternating perspectives of Lo and Celia, with Naida chiming in now and then. Each one of these girls is unique and compelling in her own way, but I have an especial interest in Lo. She keeps telling herself that she should be satisfied with life underwater; however, she can't forget Naida and wants to solve the mystery of how she came to be. Her voice is haunting, and she is strong and beautiful. It is she who introduces us to the mystical world underwater.

The characters are complex and filled with depth. Celia feels alone and overshadowed by her sisters. Naida makes her feel empowered; Jude makes her feel loved. I liked her character overall except for that one time she accuses Jude and Lo separately of keeping secrets. Honestly, I don't see a legitimate reason for her to want to know that they've been meeting up, except for the fact that she's an insecure girlfriend. Again, it goes back to her lacking confidence in herself, which does get better over time.

Lo is curious about Naida and the world above, yet she can't let go of her life underwater. However, the ocean girls believe that they must get a mortal to love them and then kill him in order to become human again. Lo once believed this, and she still hasn't entirely let go of this belief. After she falls in love with Jude, she begins to wonder if freedom is possible and if she is willing to make the necessary sacrifice to live abovewater. It was heartbreaking following Lo's struggle with her humanity, and I love her all the more for the hard choices she had to make.

Fathomless is a fairy retelling of "The Little Mermaid." While Naida's past is a mystery to be solved for Lo and Celia, it isn't the greater plot in the story. Rather, it is a story about two girls trying to find their place in the world. I love this book and will definitely be on the lookout for more works by Jackson Pearce!

For more of my reviews, visit my blog Imaginary Reads.
Imaginary Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fathomless.

09/15/2012 page 135
44.0% "One moment changed everything, and in none of the ways I would have expected. I turn my head to look at the guitar in the backseat as I answer. "You fell.""

message 1: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Glad you liked it!! I'm excited for this one.

Crystal (Kris) Hannah*Inky* wrote: "Glad you liked it!! I'm excited for this one."

Thanks. I hope you enjoy Fathomless. Let me know what you think about it!