Thomas Heath's Reviews > Boomsday

Boomsday by Christopher Buckley

Sep 15, 12

Read on September 15, 2012

Self-important bloggers, selfish parents, addled politicians, slimy P.R. executives and creepy evangelicals pretty much round out the cast of characters in Boomsday. Our heroine, a privileged young lady whom, although principled, seems motivated exclusively by bitterness over not having her Yale university education paid for by her father. She does a Private Benjamin-inspired stint in the Army (which was a similarly accurate fantasy of military life...) which she completely screws up, somehow leading her to a moderately cozy existence. It's here in the story that the plot starts getting good, and I hesitate to ruin the fun ride with further description.

Although it took some time for me to warm to the heroine, Boomsday really came around after a few chapters. Biting sarcasm and sharp wit help the story roll along, and although there were few characters that I actually liked, I did enjoy the comedy of their errors and the all to believable series of deceptions, betrayals, and disappointments they provided each other.

If you're the sort that enjoys poking fun at politics, I recommend this title highly. Big, big thumbs up to the author for not falling into the silly right wing/left wing good/bad tripe; this is a very enjoyable, nonpartisan jeering of all things Washington.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boomsday.