Ashley's Reviews > Fever 1793

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

Apr 28, 10

bookshelves: own, edwards-award

I don't think Ms. Anderson actually knows how to write a bad book. I'm beginning to think she might just be, truly brilliant. The story line progresses rapidly, the charaters are always captivating, and what's best- it seemed real. As I got to know Mattie, her grandfather, Eliza and the other people in this story, I believed in them and knew that their reactions were true to character. Nothing felt contrived or forced. I felt like I was a part of Mattie's life for those few harrowing months. I was also very impressed with Ms. Anderson's research. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter added insight into the true time period, and often shared just a teasing hint of what was to come.

Right before reading this, I read An American Plague by Jim Murphy. It is suprisingly easy to read, and contains a lot of really good information. However, I almost wish I had waited to read it until after I finished this one. I found myself expectant and waiting for things to be said, or things to happen that never appeared. That doesn't detract any from my appreciation of the story, but it did interupt that reading 'flow'. It, 'threw off my groove'... Because I was looking and waiting for certain historical events, the reading felt broken a few times. But, that's entirely my problem, and I was very easily able to get over that and the story lost no time in pulling me right back into the middle of things. I really cared about what happened to Mattie. I grieved with her, rejoiced with her, and, as silly as this may sound, I was proud of the way she had grown up and learned to face what life had to offer her.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever 1793.

Inoli Hi Ashley. I see you have both this and Jim Murphy's non-fiction account on your TBR. I just read both, reading the non-fictional account first. For me it was a perfect decision with the background wonderfully enhancing the fiction story, which I loved. Just a thought for your consideration.

Ashley Hmm. Good idea. Is the Jim Murphy book long? I have about a million books sitting by my bed right now, but would love to read the historical background first. Hopefully my library has it in right now... Thanks.

Inoli The edition I had was 192 pages with plenty of photographs. It didn't take too long at all to get through since I found it a really interesting read.

Ashley Cool. Thanks again!

Inoli Ahhh! You're only problem with the experience was probably my fault. I guess I didn't feel that because I made the decision without anyone's influence so I didn't have any expectations. There were names mentioned and references to things that were asides from the story and I really liked knowing what they were about. I'll have to remember this other aspect for future reference. Glad you enjoyed it though.

I'll probably be starting Twisted within the next couple weeks.

Ashley Ooooh! Twisted is SO good. Sigh. I envy you- you get to read it for the first time!

No worries. Most of the time, I really liked knowing the information beforehand. I didn't feel that any of it was spoilerish or anything. The only time it really happened was at the end- I kept waiting for the moments Murphy talked about where it got cold, and people were tentatively happy, and then it came back, and everything was awful again. That didn't happen in the book, so I felt myself unable to just assume things were ending... And, I was running out of pages. Momentary confusion, but not enough to really distract too long.

I don't know which I would prefer- reading the story and then learning the history, or the other way around, but it was still pretty great!