Kevin Wynkoop's Reviews > Life

Life by Keith Richards

Sep 15, 2012

The first chapter is one of the funniest I've ever read and brought back the edgy times of the drug imbibing counter culture bursting out like a viral fungus across our nation, setting red necks and straight necks against hippies. A time in history when Tricky Dick declared the Rolling Stones the most DANGEROUS ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD and banned them from America. Oh course anyone getting that much attention for being contrary to the establishment had my vote for Rock Gods.

The early years part of the book drags on a bit, unless of course you have it on audio book like I did and are weeding your strawberry patch, then its a nice distraction from the job at hand. But once you get past that it's a great read of a great ride with a number of amazing insights from the guy with front row seats. Here's a few of my favorites.

Keith Richards: "Your sitting with some guys and your playin’ and you go “Oooooh yeah.” That feeling is worth more than anything. There’s a certain moment when you realize that you’ve actually just left the planet for a bit and that nobody can touch you. Don’t matter they can’t even bust you, not that you’re thinking about getting busted but you’re elevated because you are with a bunch of guys that want to do the same thing as you, and when it works baby, you’ve got wings. And you know you’ve been somewhere most people will never get. You’ve been to a special place and then you want to keep going back and keep landing again and when you land you get busted but you always want to go back there, its flying without a license."

"What is it that makes you want to write songs? In a way you want to stretch yourself into other people’s hearts, you want to plant yourself there, or at least get a resonance, where other people become a bigger instrument than the one you’re playing. It becomes almost an obsession to touch other people. To write a song that is remembered and taken to heart is a connection, a touching of basis, a thread that runs through all of us, a stab to the heart. Sometimes I think song writing is about tightening the hearts strings as much as possible without bringing on a heart attack."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life.