Beth Cato's Reviews > Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories

Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories by Elizabeth Bear

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, ebook, 2012, anthology, fantasy, science
Read from September 23 to 28, 2012

I received this gratis e-ARC through the publisher on NetGalley.

I'm very familiar with Elizabeth Bear's work. I have followed her blog for many years, read several of her books, and a number of her short stories. It turned out that I had already read about 1/3 of the stories in this anthology--but I didn't mind in the least. I connect much more with her shorter work than I do her novels, and it was a joy to re-read her masterful work such as "Tideline," "Shoggoths in Bloom," and "The Girl Who Sang Rose Madder."

I also appreciated that the anthology introduced me to unfamiliar stories. There were three stand-outs that were future-set police mystery stories, relying heavily on new technology and dire economical and environmental constrictions on society. My favorite of these was, "In the House of Aryaman, a Lonely Signal Burns," set in India; if talking, genetically-altered cats were available, you better believe I'd go buy one.

Bear's work is solid. Even if a story didn't grab me, none of the featured works were bad, and all were worth finishing. This is an excellent anthology for those seeking out quality, contemporary speculative short fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories.