Paul's Reviews > Little Star

11220897
Aug 17, 14

bookshelves: horror
Read from September 15 to 23, 2012

From a relatively promising, almost incendiary start to a story, this book practically flat-lines as soon as the tale of 'The Other Girl' is introduced to the extent of very nearly breaking into the realm of utter tedium. It is only through a degree of force of will that I have even delved as deeply into the tale as I have.
It is with such a stench of tedium so endemic throughout that the book that the effect is to be almost offensively inactive to the degree that even when someone is being bloodily slaughtered in the text your intrique is still barely unaffected.

This had such great promise not only from who the author is - and the legacy of the superb 'Let The Right One In' - but also from a relatively good start but it just falls flat on every score afterwards, making it seem far more amateurish and unknowing of what it's trying to achieve than you first think.

I bought this in a well-known national discount store and paid a single £1 for it. In hindsight I'd feel quite aggrieved if I'd paid more than that for it.

The sole reason this gets a two-star not 1 star is the fact that it at least STARTS well, even if it does nosedive pretty swiftly afterwards.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Star.

09/17/2012 page 19
show 7 hidden updates…

Katie I felt exactly the same way! I should have just read the first section, then walked away.

Daijw Agree with this totally! Enjoyed the start, but the girls became very annoying and the story spluttered to a predictable conclusion.

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 1 star

Kat Unfortunately I paid $14.99 for my copy which is why I may have read it for so long.

Paul Ah, I feel for you. I tend to persevere with books far longer than I'm often inclined to simply because I tell myself that I've not given it enough chance to appeal to me.
When it becomes a chore simply to progress through a book you know you're wasting your time!

Teri Christman Well said. Wish I would have read your review before I read the book. Spot on!

Paul Thanks!
I'm just glad I picked it up for £1 or I'd be really annoyed!