coffclass's Reviews > Sacrifice

Sacrifice by Cayla Kluver

5190747
Dec 28, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, royalty, romance, dropped

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed about this book. Although the first two books have their flaws, at least they had the spunk to keep (my) interest. For this third book, I had to push myself a couple of times to read, but alas, I'm now giving up.

I can accept that this book is going to have a depressing mood, and the gradual upbuild is probably something I can wait for. What I cannot stand is how Alera, from all that she has experienced in the first two books, seems like a complete rookie in handling her position. Sure, she has more responsibilities now, but it seems like every loss she had in the first two books just remain on her list--she doesn't seem hardened by the deaths. She's like a little girl who knows nothing. I have my doubts on whether she should be the narrator.

Shaselle is someone I haven't liked from the onset. I hardly even remember her from the first two books. I haven't reached half the book so I have no idea if she eventually matures, but I dislike her POV even more than Alera's. She's selfish and impulsive, and during a period of war, it seems so cringe-worthy that I was tempted to just skip her chapters.

Well, now I'm skipping the rest of the chapters.

I liked the series even if I didn't love the books, so it seems like a waste to drop this final book. If there's a parallel ending to this series, I'll definitely add it to my to-read list.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrifice.