Kallierose's Reviews > The Boleyn Inheritance

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

Jan 15, 09

Read in January, 2009

** spoiler alert ** King Henry VIII, who we first met as a young man in The Other Boleyn Girl, is now a much older man, and not the young, attractive, *sane* man he once was. He rules his country with an iron fist, making others confirm to his whims. When Anne of Cleves comes to England to be his new wife, she has no idea what she's getting herself into.

Through her eyes, and through the eyes of Jane Rocheford and Kitty Howard, we see the monster he has become. The absolute power he has over his land and his people is chilling. Now even *thinking* ill of the king is considered a crime, and whether the accused is guilty or not is immaterial.

In The Other Boleyn Girl we saw the court through the eyes of young Mary Boleyn. She was, at least for the most part, an innocent pawn of her family. We're meant to sympathize with her and the sacrifices she makes for her family's ambition.

This time around Anne of Cleves is the one we feel for. Initially shy and demure, and amazed at the richness and pagentry of the English court, she soon realizes just how much hidden danger there is in this new world, and how an innocent mistake can lead to death.

The rich world that Philippa Gregory has once again ceated for us is fascinating, and I found myself rushing through my chores just to get a chance to grab the book and finish it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boleyn Inheritance.

01/04/2009 page 23