Peter's Reviews > Rapture

1119601
Nov 20, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from November 17 to 20, 2012

Want to be punched to your gut? This book does it for you, and it does it superbly well. Kameron Hurley's visceral language, her uncompromising characters and the unique, often disturbing world building combine into a story of violence, deprivation and betrayal - and also explore human emotions under these extremes.

Better than in the prequels the author manages to tie the plot into a complete whole, despite various view points and seemingly unconnected story lines. New and old characters make an appearance and while some might appear a bit plain to begin with they all have some interesting backstory worth exploring. Always be prepared for surprises (usually of the bad kind). The world building remains top-notch, probably the best realized world in the genre I've encountered for quite a long while. It is very different from what you're used to and requires some work from the reader; by now I usually assume newly introduced characters to be female, a habit that took surprisingly long to form and that makes a lot of a difference. As in the previous novel we get to see some new parts of the world and are shown tantalizing glimpses of the larger history of Umayma - something I'd still love to learn more about.

If you like rough, swearing science fiction (or fantasy), this book is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapture.