Meg's Reviews > House of Leaves

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Jan 10, 08

bookshelves: 52booksin52weeks-06-07, 52booksin52weeks-07-08, on-my-shelves, favorites
Recommended to Meg by: Benjamin
Recommended for: intellectual horror fans, footnote fans
Read in January, 2008

Except for Harry Potter (which is an entity unto itself), I don't think I have ever wanted to continue reading a book more before. I finished this beast in about 3 days, reading it on ten minute breaks and lunch hours at work, on the bus, into the wee hours of the morning, devouring every inch of every page as fast as I could.

I'm almost positive I have a new favorite book.

First read August 2007.
Reread January 2008.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Leaves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I read this book several years ago and it was WEIRD AS HELL. At the same time, I really liked it and it has stuck with me ever since. Let me ask you -- how did you read the footnotes? Did you read them on the same page as the text or what? Because, just like in Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (to a lesser degree) they were giving me a hard time.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg The first time through I read them as they happened - I let myself get bossed around by the text, and I was more than willing to go to a fn 80 pages away if I had to.

The second time through, I only sort of skimmed Johnny's stuff to be honest, and as I turned the page, I would look at the footnotes to see if any of them were relevant to the story, and not just references.

Johnny is the only part of the book that drives me sort of insane, but I think you need him the first go-round. After that, the only thing I care about is the Navidson Report.