Jackie's Reviews > Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores

Read This! by Hans Weyandt

Sep 15, 12

bookshelves: 5-star, books-i-think-i-should-read, formative, nonfiction, pleasure-reading, work-review-related-reading
Recommended for: Bibliophiles everywhere
Read in September, 2012

This book came to me at a very valuable time, a time when I'm exhausted by trying to read the murky crystal ball that is the future of publishing and bookselling while awaiting what could be a huge game changing election depending on how the votes go. I've gotten lost in the fear of it all. But this book, this tiny little book, has reminded me of just how lucky I am, because my job is to read, talk about and sell books. This book reminded me that this is my CAREER--it's not just a job. And it's not just a career, it's a calling that is the truest, best, most wonderful thing I've ever done and gotten paid for. As Ann Patchett says in her introduction to the book:

"There is no greater joy for a bookseller than introducing a reader to a book they will love for the rest of their lives. Those of us in this business are, after all, matchmakers at heart.

So consider this little book...a sort of catalogue of matchmakers."

These are lists, fifty titles long, from independent booksellers all over the country, of their very favorite books to share with others. Each list is prefaced with a bit about the stores they are from and their ideas about books and bookish things. There is room built into the book for your own list, and space to make notes as you read the lists. A extra special thing about this book is that all the proceeds go to the American Booksellers Foundations for Free Expression (ABFFE), a group that fights literary censorship and supports struggling bookstores.

For me, it reads like a bucket list of book stores I MUST see before I die. I've got one down--Tattered Cover's got a list in there too. This is a great book for any bibliophile anywhere.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Read This!.