Namratha's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

May 12, 2015

bookshelves: childrens-fantasy, adventure, ya-lit, books-i-love, pottermania, children-s, classics, epic-fantasy, fantasy, journey-within, mystery, mythology, tween-time
Read in May, 2015

In a bid to recapture the Harry Potteresque brand of nostalgia, I am re-reading the series. And loving every bit of it.

I always find that the second offering in a long-running series is always the most fulfilling. After the first book, we have the character profiles down to a tee, we have decided on our personal favourites and pet-peeves and we can easily summon up the scenery and the ambience. So now it’s just a question of belting-up and getting ready for more nail-biting action.
And Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets does just that.

Harry knows who’s baying for his blood (Malfoy, Snape and good ol’Mouldy-Voldy) He has a clearer picture of his own powers and abilities. I won’t mention the plot as most of us already know it by rote and those who don’t, are getting converted...as I speak.

The high point of the second book is a mysterious...erm....MYSTERY. Rather than laboring on about Harry’s traumatized past and his future trials, it deals with his actual adventures in the present day. Mysterious mumblings in the walls, an unknown beast lurking in some obscure chamber and hapless victims, this book has all the makings of a classic detective novel. Harry Potter gets a chance to prove that all the adulation and hero-worship is justified and he puts up a knock-‘em dead, magnificent fight. Rowling manages to weave in her wise homilies towards the end
(“It is our choices, Harry, that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” )
and yet again, it fits perfectly. Not preachy, not patronizing but tailor-made to clear Harry’s misgivings.

A rich, satisfying read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Quotes Namratha Liked

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

05/18/2016 marked as: read

Jaclyn I'm re-reading the series at the moment, too, and am also on book 2! Still so much fun, even after countless times read.

Namratha Totally agree! And....HBO is having a Potter movie-marathon. Just as I finished Sorceror's Stone, they aired the first movie. Couldn't have asked for anything more :)

Namratha Christina wrote: "I couldn't agree more, it is by far my favourite book of the series filled with so much mystery & adventure & unexpected things..Really the whole series surprised me until the very end not letting ..."

Christina...every single time that I re-read the series, I discover something new and unexpected.
The magic of Madame Rowling :)

Rajat Ubhaykar Having been so intricately involved in his going-ons, I always find myself unable to write HP reviews.

Namratha Rajat wrote: "Having been so intricately involved in his going-ons, I always find myself unable to write HP reviews."

I am so intricately involved in his going-ons, that I am tempted to write numerous reviews on the HP books. Different ones for different editions :)

message 6: by Faisal (new)

Faisal Habib I too plan on doing this someday when i reach it in my to read list.
I might try an audiobook experience for it though ;)

Namratha Faisal wrote: "I too plan on doing this someday when i reach it in my to read list.
I might try an audiobook experience for it though ;)"

Whichever way you to come back to Hogwarts, the charm (and magic) stay intact :)