Nicole's Reviews > Natural Born Angel

Natural Born Angel by Scott Speer

Feb 18, 13

bookshelves: arc, angels-nephilim
Read from January 21 to 25, 2013

3.5/5 it wasn't a filler book but I just didn't love it nearly as much as the first one. And that ending! Not cool.

EDIT: I really wanted to write a good, full review on this book on my blog. But I realized that I'm too mad about this sequel to Immortal City to give it a full, descent, and well-rounded review. It had very few high points, all of which have left me.

What I didn't like: The first thing that made me mad about this book was that Speer completely skipped over the best part of a sequel, and that's what happens to the relationship right after what happened in book 1. The aftereffects of book 1 were skipped over, and any drama was already over with. It just really annoyed me that Speer skipped over one of the most important parts of a good series.

The second thing is that there was a love triangle. Now, if the author had written a good love triangle, I wouldn't be complaining. But I never liked the other guy (like at all) and I couldn't understand what drew them to each other. So Natural Born Angel contracted the dreaded sequel syndrome where the guy from the first book is never there. Jackson and Maddy had such chemistry in Immortal City, and that was NOWHERE in this book. Like I said before, the author skipped over the early parts of their relationship; the parts where we get to know the guy and the two of them as people.

Those were my two biggest issues. They have completely clouded anything that I could have liked about this book. And I couldn't even be offended (in a good I-can't-wait way) by that crazy cliffhanger because I was so mad about everything else. Anyway, I think that I'm still going to read the third book if there is one, because I know that Maddy and Jackson are going to end up together in the end. But hopefully the third book will be better than this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Born Angel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa ILJ well you did better than me. I had to mark this as a DNF. I may try to pick it back up, but I found this sequel painful to read.

Nicole Lisa wrote: "well you did better than me. I had to mark this as a DNF. I may try to pick it back up, but I found this sequel painful to read."

I know! Did you like the first one?

message 3: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa ILJ I really did. I was surprised at how much I liked the first book. It's like he turned all of these sweet likable characters into vapid shallow caricatures.

Nicole Lisa wrote: "I really did. I was surprised at how much I liked the first book. It's like he turned all of these sweet likable characters into vapid shallow caricatures."

Seriously! I was almost thinking about not finishing this one, but I want to read the third one to see if it gets any better. That is, if there is a third one...

message 5: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea Turvey I'm still waiting for my copy and was mega-excited, but seeing all these reviews has dropped the excitement levels to barely simmering.
I think you hit the nail on the head - love triangles are like a choke chain to a series and I was really looking forward to some Jacks/Maddy loving.