Stephanie's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Dec 13, 2015

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, 2012
Read in September, 2012

Louise Penny is incredible at crafting a mystery with engaging, and very likeable, characters. There is also a story line that keeps you guessing, always. (I knew who one of the murderers was, by halfway through the book, but not the other one.) I was totally engrossed, and Penny did not disappoint, yet again.

This book refers to her last one (The Brutal Telling) by reviewing the murder from the last book, with new results. But the main focus of Bury Your Dead is a murder of a man who has spent his life endeavoring to find the burial place of Samuel Champlain, father of Quebec. There were so many twists and turns in that story line, it was difficult to figure out, and I had to let the story unfold before me.. which is always a real, if not rare treat.

I could feel the brutal intensity of the winter season, as Penny is an artist with words; every scene is as picturesque as a painting in a museum. Add to that the emotional heartbreak of Chief Inspector Gamache as he deals with a recent terriorist episode that has challanged his belief in his decision making as a leader, and a reader is hooked, to the very end. (I cried, a little. Very skillful telling.) Gamache and Beavoir barely lived through this traumatic event, and lost some friends and workmates in the shootout, one of which we knew, from previous books. They had scars, literal and figurative, and were convalessing, mentally and physically. A co-worker's actions did not help, near the end.. But this, they will get through, as well.

A huge dose of Canadian French/Anglo history is included to enhance the enjoyment. Add to this delightful bits of fluff about cups of tea and chocolate and croissants, and cozy chats enjoyed before a fire and it is a totally satisfying read. Her masterful telling just keeps getting better and better!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.

message 1: by Lewis (new) - added it

Lewis Weinstein Louise Penny is becoming one of my new favorite authors.