Christine's Reviews > Monsters of Men

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Oct 07, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars, young-adult
Read from September 17 to 24, 2012

Wow. I'll write a review once I'm done crying. Not sure when that will be.

Okay so this was one of the best books I've ever read. The perfect way to end the series, and yes, this was one of the best YA series I have ever read. Five-stars all the way across, for every single book. I'd give it more than just five if I could. And honestly, I don't think anything I say in this review will do the book/series justice... but heck, I'll try anyways.

First of all, never been a fan of multiple narrators/perspectives. Almost every book with multiple narrators I've ever encountered in the past were either abandoned reads or average reads, in my opinion. But THIS one. This one requires all three narrators. It really does. The multiple narrations gave the book a whole dimension that wouldn't have been there otherwise. And it was really, really great. I have to admit the third perspective slowed down the reading just a wee little bit. But still. It was necessary.

Secondly, the emotional investment is through the roof. I love Todd and Viola so much it hurts. And every other character served their own role and the good and bad of everyone - David Prentiss, included - is shown. I cried so much throughout this book, especially at the ending, that I just didn't even know what to do.

The writing: phenomenal. Every plot twist, every action sequence, every switch between narrators, every single little detail was calculated and convincing and served a purpose. Wonderful.

And the whole idea of the series, of the New World, of the Noise, of the war, of everything. Wow. Wow wow wow wow. Brilliant.

And I think I'm just going to stop there because I honestly don't think anything I do or say on here will be enough to explain how much I love this book. Such quality entertainment. Such deep emotional investment. Such a horrific society. So many blurred lines between morals. It absolutely blew me away.

Please, please read Chaos Walking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monsters of Men.

09/17/2012 page 18
09/23/2012 page 335
55.0% "Trying to read this as slowly as possible because I'm genuinely scared of seeing how it will end."
09/23/2012 page 390
64.0% "Trying to read this as slowly as possible because I'm genuinely scared of seeing how it will end."
show 5 hidden updates…