Becky Hoffman's Reviews > Titus Andronicus

1720849
Sep 14, 12

Read in September, 2012

Soooooo......dinner anyone?

I was warned about this book from my Dad, and for people who have read the book, he didn't warn me about anything in the book but said that it was the driest Shakespeare play he ever read. He even went as far to say it is the worst one he ever read.

Well after reading this book, I have to say that I greatly disagree with my Dad. This was the most blood-thirsty and barbaric book I have ever read from Shakespeare.

Now of course for the film class I'm in, we followed it by watching Taymor's adaptation of 'Titus' and holy lordy it was soooooo out there, but very well done. I mean to keep with the Shakespeare dialogue and still create a modern neo-nazi feel to the film....Amazing!

I loved this play and I didn't really see the ending coming, I mean aspects of it I saw, but some of the little side-notes that they put in, really surprised me. It is definitely a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Titus Andronicus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jason I'm a huge fan of this play. It's still the only play that has left me in tears whilst reading it -- the scene where Lavinia's uncle finds her mutilated in the swamp.

Becky Hoffman I know!!! That was awful! But we kept arguing during class that don't you think that either the Uncles or her own father would've said, hmm...you're mutilated, why don't we figure out another way for you to tell us what happened to you, instead of treating her like she's some sort of leper and leaving her basically alone for weeks.
UGH SHAKESPEARE!!!! How these minor plot holes irk me so!

Jason Who is your professor?

Becky Hoffman Casey Charles. He's a riot!

Jason He was mine too. Tell him "hi" for me, will you?

Becky Hoffman Of course!