Sara's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

Feb 28, 13

I see this book as the honest attempt of a man - who has been through it all and who should know - to lend aid to all the lost, lonely, overweight, underweight and overwrought, aging souls who are looking for a path to follow. I also see this as an attempt to redeem his image, which I think is that of a damaged, difficult and self-involved individual. I appreciate and respect his sober efforts to impart his own hard-earned wisdom. He has experienced the trial by fire and has come out of it with real insight. Unfortunately, he comes off sounding a little bit smug. That is not to say this is not an interesting and possibly important book to read. His thoughts on suicide are bordering on revolutionary: why kill yourself? just run away. I don't say that sarcastically, because I have considered running away as a possible alternative to suicide. It's reassuring to see that someone else has thought of it and is promoting it as a real solution to a malaise that invites death. Kudos to Mr. Burroughs for having the guts to suggest that breaking away is a superior and healthier alternative to slitting your wrists alone in the bathtub, or attempting to get just the right angle on the pistol in order to extinguish one's own existence.

But he is a bit of a know-it-all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.