Charlotte's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

F_50x66
Sep 14, 12

I won't deny that it's a gem on any fantasy shelf; that it made history in its own right; that it's changed the world. But honestly, I didn't feel it.
The Hobbit was magic for me. I loved it. I loved everything about it--the mythology, the prose, the characters (the idea of a reluctant hero is my absolute favorite), and especially the plot. I've been reading both that and The Lord of the Rings since I was old enough to read chapter books. And at that age, I thought that The Lord of the Rings was very boring.

Call me what you will, but honestly... The language flows elegantly, and every bit of the plot is fantastic. Neither of those are my complaint. My complaint is that close to fifty pages are spent on a few characters walking... and then maybe five on a giant, epic battle that changes everything are written. Also, we have the privilege to hear exactly what every minor character, son of an even more minor character, was doing at 4:41 P.M. on Sunday, January 3rd. In great detail.

Okay, I'd better stop now before I get bashed. Suffice to say that it's truly a great work of art; but that the vast amount of intricate detail was (okay, I admit it) a bit too much for me to keep up with.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.