Cassandra's Reviews > City of a Thousand Dolls

City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster

12190621
Apr 28, 13

bookshelves: girl-guides-of-canada-books

Set in a foreign word rich with powerful monarchs, masters of beauty and music, and murder. City of a Thousand Dolls, by Miriam Forster is captivating from start to finish. No matter your genre preference there is something here for everyone. From the coming age tale of a girl trying to out who is. To the interlaced back story of the world she lives in it rules, its customs and beliefs. This novel is truly a worthy read.

We see the world through the eyes of Nisha Arvi, a girl quickly nearing her 16th birthday. Nisha is the errand girl for the Matron of the City of a Thousand Dolls, abandoned at the city gates when she was 6, was deemed too old to start any formal training in the city, and Matron took her in. Nisha has many friends in the city most of which are the city cats. Nisha has a telepathic connection with the cats, she keeps this secret as no one else seems to have this ability.

The city itself was formed after a prophecy was made that one day there would be no girls in the land, because of the one child law. The city was made as a safe place to leave a female child that was unwanted. That girl would have no ties with her family again and begin training. Within the city reside 5 houses which represent the area of study the girls will be trained in. Music, dance, Beauty, pleasure, combat and jade(medicine)

This story is action packed from page 1, Nisha is constantly in the middle of things whether it is seeking out her future or discovering her own mysterious past. If that wasn’t enough girls in the city are being murdered, when Nisha tries to find out who is the killer she finds herself in even more danger.

This book is packed full of strong powerful women, wither they be a master of medicine or dance, the girls are all seen to be very strong. I one part to me that wasn’t so great was that at the girls 16th birthday they essentially get sold to the highest bidder, sometimes it was to further there career like those in medicine but not all the girls we destined for wonderful purchases. Throughout the course of the book though there remains a stirring sense that the principles of the school may not be as sound as thought and Nisha in the end sets a side her desires to better the world around her. Overall I found this book to be a positive role model for young girls, and have recommended it to my Unit.

Rating 4 out of 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of a Thousand Dolls.