Susan's Reviews > Stargirl

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Jun 07, 2009

bookshelves: 48-hour, coming-of-age, fiction, friendship, high-school, library-books, read-in-2009, reading-challenges, young-adult, young-women
Read in June, 2009

In Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl, 10th grader Stargirl Cawaway certainly marches to the beat of her own drum - a dangerous pastime for any high school student. Kimono wearing, ukulele playing Stargirl is a charming and friendly character who dances when there is no music and laughs when there are no jokes.

I wish I could have been as brave and altruistic as Spinelli's titular heroine when I was in high school. Stargirl is a true individual, and the kind of girl I want to grow up to be one day!

Stargirl is a great story with a wonderful ending. Delightfully touching and humorous, I dare you not to learn a lesson about individuality and conformity when you read Stargirl.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargirl.

Quotes Susan Liked

Jerry Spinelli
“She was elusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl. We did not know what to make of her. In our minds we tried to pin her to a cork board like a butterfly, but the pin merely went through and away she flew.”
Jerry Spinelli, Stargirl