Diana's Reviews > The Eight

The Eight by Katherine Neville

Nov 03, 12

Read in December, 2006

I was told by several people whose books tastes I generally respect that I would love this book - sadly, that wasn't the case. I found it tiresome, hard to follow, and the writing was almost impossible to slog through in several places. The characters were never fully developed, I never got invested in any of the characters, and I found the book too plot-driven to an irritating degree - with too many historical elements "dropped in" (almost like name dropping) in order to tie the events to historical situations.

The only part of the book that I found remotely interesting and attention-holding was the very first chapter. It's a book that has reached something like cult status, but I found the plot hard to follow, lots of twists and turns that only confused me, and a very unsatisfying ending. I finished it only because I hate to leave a book unfinished if I've committed to reading it.

It just doesn't live up to its hype for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tania I agree that this novel had a few slow spots as it was jumping back in time to help explain/set up the intricate plot, however it IS a very SMART and well written story with excellent character development and action galore that is sure to grab the educated reader.

Diana As I said in my review, the book has attracted a lot of very good reviews and fans, and the ideas in the book were quite interesting. However, I found the writing style a bit irritating, actually - there were too many instances of characters "racing into the building" or "jumping out of the car" - it was the style of writing that made me cringe.

The historical elements were actually quite interesting, especially since I have an extensive knowledge of history, including all the events Neville includes in this book. In comparing it to other historical novels/mysteries I've read, I just didn't find it as compelling.

"Well written" and "character development" are a matter of subjective opinion; this one just didn't grab me - and I read A LOT.

message 3: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Maybe you should re-read

Diana I have to say that I stand by my original review of this book. I did not find it lived up to the hype that it has accumulated.

I am an educated reader (in fact, very widely read and very educated reader, with a PhD in medieval literature), so it's not that I did not "understand" the history or find it "above" my reading level and comprehension.

I am also a writer, and my quibbles with this book lie with the writing style - the premise of the book is actually quite interesting. I just found elements of the writing and elements of the plot amateurish.

Remember that what one considers "good" in any creative field - visual art, writing, music - is VERY subjective. You either like it or you don't. I can truthfully say that I would NOT find this book anh more attractive if I re-read it.

Sorry if my review doesn't sit well with those who gave the book five stars - but your telling me that I should re-read or that I need to be a better educated reader is simply not going to make me like the book any better.

message 5: by Eleni (new) - added it

Eleni I couldn't even get past the first 100 pages. I love reading and being challenged, but I guess I'm too tired at the end of the day to invest in this book.

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail THANK YOU! this book was highly recommended to me and I thought I must be missing the point!