Madison Seidler's Reviews > I Love You to Death

I Love You to Death by Natalie Ward

Oct 02, 12

bookshelves: highly-recommended
Read from September 30 to October 01, 2012

Read this and other reviews at Madison Says.

I was excited to pick up this book just from the cover alone. It’s amazing. Then I read the blurb and I was sold. From the first page, I loved the playlists included and they way she tied music into the entire story. I would say that I have and regularly listen to about 95% of the songs she listed in here. This made me all the more connected to the story because I felt like seeing that playlist before starting the chapter gave me an idea of what I was in for.

It’s hard to believe that a combination of sound and silence can have such an effect on you. But it can. And it can affect you in ways you never thought possible.

My heart broke for Ash. So completely. I wanted to give her a hug, tell her it was going to be alright and keep her out of harm’s way. She was so fragile and in such a dark place (and really, how could you not be?). I loved how it was told in the first person, because even though I would LOVE to see inside Luke’s head, being in Ash’s head created such emotional turmoil. It was written in a way that when she felt butterflies, so did I; when she was frustrated or angry, so was I. It was so very powerful.

It’s funny the things you wish for. When you get them, you never want them anymore. And you’d do anything to take them back.

Luke – I don’t even know how to go on about him. Because there really aren’t any words. I LOVE HIM! The way that he was introduced to the story was great, and the relationship that evolved between him and Ash was beautiful. I appreciated every aspect of their story. He was so patient and kind and caring and really he was her saving grace. The tension between them was SO THICK I felt like I couldn’t breathe at times. And then, I would think something was finally going to happen, and someone would call ‘uncle.’ Talk about frustrating…but in a good way.

“I’ve wanted to be with you since the first minute I saw you. The very second you walked back into that shop and I felt my heart stop when I looked at you. I knew right then, I would do absolutely anything for you.”

Natalie did a fantastic job of writing between past and present tenses. If not done correctly, this can be super confusing and muddy a story. She did this SO WELL that it’s unreal. It really brought the story full circle and helped me make all the connections. It was fantastic! Because of the way it was written, too, it was damn near impossible to put down. I had a sick kid, so there was a lot of moving watching and snuggle time going on yesterday, which allowed me plenty of time with my iPad…and thank God for that because I NEEDED to know what happened next. When I thought I had it figured it, it completely changed…and I’ll tell you, I was FREAKING OUT. What happened was not what I expected, and I felt like I couldn’t catch my breath…I was flipping the pages so damn fast. But, overall, I would say that it ended how it should have. I don’t want to give anything away, because it’s just too good not to experience firsthand, but it was very powerful.

I give this book 4.5 stars and recommend it to anyone. It’s a more mature contemporary – some coarse language, sex (although not overly graphic), but the characters are 25-27ish so that’s to be expected. This is a MUST READ! It will have your head spinning, heart pounding and a flurry of butterflies in your stomach, but it’s so worth it and so beautiful!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love You to Death.

message 1: by Tyla (new)

Tyla Ledvina Are these like, teenagers or highschool aged characters, or adults?

Madison Seidler They are adults - like 26-27 year olds. My review is posting about 11:30 today. I really liked it. Had lots of tension, build up, drama and sadness. But really a beautiful story!

Nicole Madison, now you have me nervous about how the book is going to end! I'm 78% of the way through it. I am going to be super pissed if saomething bad happens to Luke or Ash! :(

Madison Seidler Just hang on! It'll have your heart racing! ;)

Nicole It had my heart racing. Wow!

Madison Seidler Mine too! I was pacing around and standing and sitting. I was a mess. And was ready to be really, really pissed!

Nicole I know, right! I was really freaking out. That is so funny because I could not sit still either. lol

HILLZ Starting this one now........

Madison Seidler You'll love it! It's amazing!

HILLZ OMG! You were so right! It's hard to put into words. So beautifully written.