Susan's Reviews > Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume

Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from... by Jennifer O'Connell

Jennifer O'Connell edits Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned From Judy Blume, a book of captivating essays on the impact of iconic coming-of-age girl-lit author Judy Blume, written by contemporary female authors.

Judy Blume is one of the best known and most beloved authors of our time. Not only has she written countless books for children/pre-teens/teens, but she also has penned some wonderful adult novels as well. Her characters are lovable, and her story lines incredibly easy to relate to. Over the last forty years, millions of readers of all ages have been charmed by books like Deenie, Blubber, and Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret."

This collection of 24 intriguing essays highlight the kind of "Judy Blume moments" we all had growing up as girls in America. The intensely personal essays offer the reader an insight into the immeasurable influence that Judy Blume has had on the American girl.

As an enormous Judy Blume fan (I even named a cat Judy Blume 19 years ago,) I really enjoyed this collection. It was a true nostalgic treat, taking me back to those fun (and sometimes painful) days of young adulthood. In reading the essays of some of my favorite authors, I was alternately laughing-out-loud and cringing at some of the recollections. It was so much fun to read, that I feel the need to revisit my Judy Blume favorites in the near future.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Needed to Know about Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume.

05/15/2009 page 26