Andy's Reviews > The Trial

The Trial by Franz Kafka

Sep 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, audiobook
Read from August 15 to September 05, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

My second venture into audiobooks has fared less well. Classic it may be, but The Trial did nothing for me. I was aware of the story in advance, knew the themes but didn't know the content. It seems that was the least important part anyway. I found the experience frustrating and ridiculous, developing immense dislike for our protagonist with his wildly fluctuant confidence/arrogance and disdain, flitting from one bizarre and pointless situation to the next. Plus, I found his aggressive sexuality to be more than a little disturbing, seemingly forcing himself on any female character whether reciprocated or not. An attempt to actually control something in his rapidly disintegrating life? Perhaps, but unpleasant none the less.

The endless circular discussions, blind-ended alleys and characters who only serve to reiterate the ridiculous, threatening and claustrophobic nature of the grander themes; they all grated. I can see why it's a classic but it's not up my alley. Kafka does not appear to be for me.

The audiobook reading by Rupert Degas was ok though his female characters all sound the same. It didn't add anything and perhaps took away a little. Hmmm.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trial.