Mark's Reviews > The Last Lecture

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Feb 25, 2009

Read in February, 2009

My mother got be this, even getting it on audio CD so that I could listen to it on my commute. You can't help but be inspired and motivated upon hearing it.

I have to admit, however, that some of the book I found trying. You see, it's my day job to manage creative geniuses, some of whom are a little lacking in interpersonal skills. I saw this in the author's stories about himself, and it kind of wore me out. (Especially when I'm listening to it after a day of dealing with those kind of people!) Maybe the world needs those people, just as they need better-adjusted people around them to help make everything work, but it still wore me out.

However, there's still the overall message, which is still compelling. Also after listening on a long drive home, it makes you want to hug your wife & kids when you walk through the door. It makes you want to have long talks with them about what's really important, both to have that talk, and to make sure you get to it before you're gone. As the author says, although getting struck down in the prime of his life with mortal cancer was terrible, it did afford him the luxury of preparation time for his departure. Not all husbands & parents get that, and none of us can count on it.

My mom wants me to mail this audiobook up to my brother, who will no doubt have a similar reaction, and we'll have some good talks about it on the phone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Lecture.