Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books's Reviews > Frost Arch

Frost Arch by Kate Bloomfield

Sep 22, 12

bookshelves: owned-e-books, favorites, auth-req-read, pnr, paranormal, magic, fantasy
Read from September 20 to 22, 2012

Be sure to check out my blog, at Michelle’s Paranormal Vault of Books for more reviews and extras. You will find an expert of Frost Arch at my review there.

This book totally hooked me in, hook, line and sinker, right from the start. Its such an interesting story, and not at all what I expected. It was a totally original idea to me.

The whole idea of magic people, called Mages, like our main character, Avalon, is a Fire Mage, she can control fire, produce it, everything. There are many different types, Ice Mage, Healers, like her friend Jack. Ones that can read minds, etc. Anyone who does not have a power, is treated like garbage, called a Human, which to them is like an animal, slaves, etc. Its like 500 or more years in the future, and technology does not exist anymore, everything is controlled with the magic of the Mages. Its quite interesting how the evolution of the Mage, changed over the years. It was fun and intense to read.

Avalon, our Fire Mage in this story is quite the character. I love her friend Jack, he reminded me of Puck in the Iron Fey series, his personality just reminded me so much of him. Happy go lucky type, and he is a great friend to Avalon. I will say, Avalon is one tough cookie, to go through what she does, it would have drove me insane. I wont tell you what, its quite disturbing really, but overall this is a great story. I am so happy it’s a series, and very glad it had a pleasant ending, not some giant cliffhanger. I am going to get the second book as soon as I can, as I am anxious to read what happens next.

I loved Ræven Blacklock, she was an amazing and unique character. And who wouldn’t love Hawthorne, I am not telling you who he is, you get to discover the wonder of Hawthorne yourself, he is amazing!

The only thing I was missing in this book, is a romantic relationship for Avalon. She is 18, and should have one, I mean, her and Jack are close, but it’s a best friends type thing. Although, I think they have feelings for one another, but it could be one of those that develop over the series, which is fine, as I get a little sick of the insta-love we find in so many books nowadays.

Give this one a try. But keep in mind, it’s got some disturbing abuse type parts, and really more for mature readers. I mean, mature 16-17 year olds should be fine reading it, the story as a whole would attract a wide range of ages, so its why I mention it.

Flamethroat is the 2nd book in the Fire Mage Trilogy, and I am looking forward to it. I also downloaded the free Prequel of Jack Greenwood before meeting Avalon, its said to read this Frost Arch first. (get it at Smashwords Jack Greenwood at Smashwoods I read that we should read Frost Arch first, before Jack Greenwood, just FYI

Also, just seen that another free Prequel will be coming soon, called Ræven Blacklock, you can see that amazing cover at authors blog, or at her Goodreads page.

5 out of 5 stars for me!

I received a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review from the group at Goodreads called Shut Up & Read.

Other books in series:
Raeven Blacklock (Prequel  The Fire Mage Trilogy) by Kate Bloomfield Jack Greenwood (Prequel  The Fire Mage Trilogy) by Kate Bloomfield Flamethroat (The Fire Mage Trilogy, #2) by Kate Bloomfield Falling Ashes (Book 3  The Fire Mage Trilogy) by Kate Bloomfield
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost Arch.

09/21/2012
42.0% "very good so far!"
09/22/2012
100.0% "wow! what an awesome book. 2:30 am and just finished. I could not stop! review coming after sleep!"

message 1: by Lily (last edited Sep 24, 2012 11:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily It is awesome that you found Jack to be similar to Puck, because I found myself being reminded of Puck every time!
And thank you for the Smashwords link to Jack's story, because I was very excited to pick it up for free and give it a read as well!

Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books Lily wrote: "It is awesome that you found Jack to be similar to Puck, because I found myself being reminded of Puck every time!

Your welcome. I also can't wait for the Ræven Blacklock story as well, at least it will also be free, will be nice to learn more about her too. :) I really enjoyed this book, sounds like you did too. :) Love Hawthorn, :) I want one, lol