Michael Burnam-fink's Reviews > The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing

The Art of Procrastination by John R. Perry

Sep 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012
Read in September, 2012

Hi, my name is Michael, and I'm a procrastinator. So when I heard about this book from a friend, I felt a brief flame of hope that this would help me conquer what ails me, finish my dissertation in a timely manner, and ride off into the sunset in a blaze of glory. Or something like that.

This book is mostly an affirmation of the idea that you can be procrastinator and still get things done. Perry introduces the theory of 'structured procrastination', based on Robert Benchley's quip that "Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing." You make a to do list, set something huge and cosmic and unattainable at the top, and then while procrastinating on that do all the little things you need to do. It's a decent enough idea, and I look forward to trying it out, but there's not much else in the book; just some anecdotal advice and half-hearted affirmations that its okay to procrastinate. I finished it in about a half hour, looked up, and said "Is that it? I payed $10 for that?" I feel burned by the short length.

Maybe it's just better to poke around Perry's website http://www.structuredprocrastination.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Procrastination.