Krista's Reviews > The End of Men: And the Rise of Women

The End of Men by Hanna Rosin

Sep 14, 12

Read in September, 2012

This provocatively titled book is not some sexist trope on why men are on the wrong end of the evolutionary spectrum, but rather a documentation of the strides women have made in almost all areas of life, with particular emphasis on the new economic power women have wielded beginning about forty years ago. It also speaks to the new "feminized" economy of information and service rather than the "brawn" economy of manual labor the western world is (or rather, already mostly has) transforming into. I was a bit afraid of reading this book in public because the title is hugely emblazoned in pink across the front of the book, and indeed I was asked if I was sexist by two people on separate occasions. It was a thoroughly engrossing read; Ms. Rosin manages to inject a startling number of facts and figures without ever breaking narrative stride. While she does make note of the fact that only a tiny portion of the most senior positions at large companies are held by women, she sees this as the final glass ceiling only a tap or two away from shattering. Recommended for anyone looking for an accessible read about the likely future of our economy and a spot-on description of the economy as it is today.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Men.