karen's Reviews > Knockemstiff

Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock

Sep 18, 2012

bookshelves: hey-shorty, grit-lit
Read on September 14, 2012

...i'm beginning to believe that anything i do to extend my life is just going to be outweighed by the agony of living it

i'm pretty sure i can't say anything better to sum up the collection, so for once, i am going to keep it short. very enjoyable short stories - occasionally gratuitous, not as good as The Devil All the Time, but still tremendous.

some things deserve the short-and-sweet treatment.
47 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knockemstiff.

message 1: by Ray (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ray I'm Jealous. I've wanted to read this every since reading "The Devil all the time" I value your opinion an seeing the 4 star rating makes me yearn even more to read.

karen i liked devil all the time much much more, and i will review this when i finally get caught up on all the other books i have read this week, but this had definite high points, and his writing is phenomenal.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason I agree; it's refreshing. Sometimes a review can be too long, you know what I mean?

Greg Are you talking about my reviews Jason? Why are you always putting me down?

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason I love your reviews, Greg. Each one is like a different piece of your loopy, neurotic puzzle. Never a dull moment!

message 6: by Lou (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lou Check out my recent interview with the author Karen

karen i will - thanks!!

message 8: by Lou (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lou karen wrote: "i will - thanks!!"

Thanks for thanking and reading.

message 9: by Jac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jac just watched the interview. "there isn't a lot of beauty in my books"

karen i think it's a hard-edged kind of beauty.

message 11: by Jac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jac by watching the interview, i hooked up w/ harry crews and larry brown. what a find! bactine...who knew?

karen sweet! you are connected!

message 13: by Jac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jac i got it goin' on!

message 14: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Thanks to facebook-sharing your interview with Pollock, karen, I now know that one of my uncles also likes him a lot. He was excited to hear there was a new book coming.

karen oh, it's already out!! he can go get it RIGHT NOW!

message 16: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I will tell him! He can read it in hospitals while waiting to get treated for Lyme disease! Because that's what happens when you hang out in nature.

karen oh, jeez! the poor man! well, reading this will put his problems into perspective and he will count his blessings that it isn't as bad as these characters....

message 18: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Oh, he's had it before. And some other things you get from ticks or mosquitoes. Botany is a dangerous profession.

karen indeed.

message 20: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I would have carnivorous plants; maybe they would protect me from mosquitoes.

karen a need a plant that is going to eat the sun

message 22: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Is it still melting? Let me know when it is safe to return.

karen today is the worst of all. there are excessive heat warnings all over the place. i walked outside and i thought i would perish immediately. it's 94, but they say it "feels" like 105 with the humidity and all.

dying. so dying.

message 24: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Ugh, sorry. I don't suppose you have the weekend off to stay home with ice creams?

karen i could, but i have a ton of at-home work to do, so i can't be all leisurely and ice-bathy.

message 26: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Beats the hot, dirty streets, though. Have any fun?