Skeller2483's Reviews > Davita's Harp

Davita's Harp by Chaim Potok

Dec 31, 2008

did not like it
Read in December, 2008 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Although I like Chaim Potok's writing (and enjoyed The Chosen, The Promise, and My Name is Asher Lev), I did not like this book. Davita is raised by parents who no longer believe in God. Although she turns to religion to help her with some sort of consistency in her life, she doesn't truly believe in a higher power. This is unfortunate because she truly could find HOPE in her difficult life if she turned herself over to God.

Davita's parents are radical communist supporters who live in the USA during the time prior to WWII. Her father is killed by defending his beliefs, and her mother is nearly destroyed when she realizes Communism and Fascism are "friends."

This is not a happy book. I don't intend to read this one again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Davita's Harp.

Tyson Call I hope that no-one skips over this book based off this incredibly biased review. It is an amazing piece of writing which anyone can relate to. It is beautiful despite it's somewhat heavy subject matter.

Spider the Doof Warrior Tis. I liked the idealism of the parents. They wanted to make the world a better place, which is why they swung towards Communism. It was devastating to realize that they had wasted their life on something they thought would improve the world, but it was in bed with Hitler.
It was an interesting book.
I want a door harp.