Brooke Banks's Reviews > Henry Franks

Henry Franks by Peter Adam Salomon

Oct 31, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, suspense-mystery, young-adult, written-reviews
Read in September, 2012

I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I could hear the scratching wind, see the swinging moss, feel the heat create sweat on my brow, and fell in love with a monster.

Though, it all depends on how you define a monster. That's what this book is about. I don't want to spoil anything, but this book is thrilling and makes you think. It's thoroughly enjoyable, mysterious, dark, twisting, and so goddamn good. It stays good if you can't read it in a single sitting, and it certainly lingers when you've finished reading it.

I'm all about characters, building them, progress them, and making them come to life.I like to guess, wonder and try to figure out the mystery but I do not like it when I can see it coming so early.
I love the visualization, the feeling, the little details. I see things in my mind as I read and it's so vital that an author shows instead of tells, so that way I can really get into a book.

Basically, that's Henry Franks. It has everything I love, and I can't see a single downside. It's like the perfect book for me and I'm so thankful to have won it, to get to read it. I had an inkling where the book was going to go, but it didn't turn out exactly like I expected. I was gripped by the story and was attached to all the characters, in different ways. I could really see and feel the setting, and the characters.

I always say, adults should read young adult books too. It's not just for children, it's not junior books. There are so many great books that people miss out on just because of the genre. This is on my list of favorites. This book will get recommended by me for everyone. This is an example book of a great YA fiction.
As for what the other reviewers said, I do agree the ending unfolded so quickly. I was torn from wanting to read as quickly as possible due to the adrenalin pumping climax, and having to go back to re-read to keep everything straight. That of course, just might be my own hastened reading. I don't really have a problem with the quick ending, it was building the whole book and don't see how else it could have come out, except as a flood. That's just all IMHO of course.

With the paperback ARC I received I didn't have any format problems with the newspaper clippings. If there were other errors, I was so engrossed with the story I didn't get into my usual nit-picking mode. That was refreshing for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Henry Franks.

message 1: by Stewartc85 (new) - added it

Stewartc85 thanks for the spoiler in the first sentence to his identity...

Brooke Banks My bad. I took out that sentence. When I wrote the review right after reading it didn't click that was a spoiler and it's sometimes hard to remember that people actually read mine. That happens so rarely.

message 3: by Stewartc85 (last edited Oct 31, 2012 04:15AM) (new) - added it

Stewartc85 Easy mistake to make... I will admit that I stopped reading after the first sentence incase it contained any more spoilers!

Your review was actually top of the list! (So it will be getting read a lot more than you think!)

Brooke Banks Oh, wow! I didn't know. I've looked over my review and can't see anything that's a spoiler. Though I'm wary of my own judgement now that I missed the first freaking sentence being one.

Oh, crap. I hope I didn't ruin the book for you or anyone else. It really is such a good book!

message 5: by Stewartc85 (new) - added it

Stewartc85 Don't worry about it... I am sure that I will enjoy it regardless when I come to read it.

Sometimes when you get so into a book you just get so excited about wanting to tell people about it you go a little too far on the description, we're only human... I'll take it as a sign that you were very excited about sharing it.

I was very close to doing something similar with The Only Ones by Aaron Starmer. I adore that book

Peter Salomon Wow, I didn't realize there were comments on any reviews...I just wanted to say that I appreciate both the wonderful review and the care to keep it spoiler-free (don't read the Amazon reviews then, by the way, those REALLY give spoilers away with no warning whatsoever). To Stewartc85, I hope you'll still give the book a chance and let me know if knowing a little took anything away from your enjoyment of the book!! Enjoy!!