David Timms's Reviews > Never Cry Wolf

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat

M_50x66
Jan 06, 09

Read in January, 1966

Farley Mowat is such an erudite man. His writings draw you into the substance of his subject and often you find you never want to leave. The Mickey Mouse subtitle is, I suppose, necessary to keep this book separate from the horrid insipid Kevin Costner (yech!) movie with the same Title. DO NOT CONFUSE THESE! (Remember: Farley Mowat = amazingly good/Kevin Costner = luke-warm dog vomit - and THAT is on his best day - and applies to everything he was ever in, except Silverado, in which he is the least charming protagonist, but seldom makes One actually want to either evacuate one's bowels or projectile vomit, which is the case in every other movie he was in.)

Back to Never Cry Wolf. Extraordinary book. Read it. Change your life. Or at least your outlook on some aspect of your life. It is among my all-time top ten books. And I am a picky S.O.B.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Cry Wolf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peg (new)

Peg ...and you're the one who put NEVER CRY WOLF in my hands all those years ago. It's been close to 40 years--I should probably reread it. As for Kevin Costner, I liked him in For Love of the Game. No one else in America did, but I stand by my opinion.

message 2: by Peg (new)

Peg Peg wrote: "...and you're the one who put NEVER CRY WOLF in my hands all those years ago. It's been close to 40 years--I should probably reread it. As for Kevin Costner, I liked him in For Love of the Game. No..."

Dave Smith Kevin Costner starred in "Dances with Wolves," not "Never Cry Wolf."

David Timms True enough, he did. My bad. Mea culpa. Blame it on my extreme angst against Costner's personna and his dreadful emphasis of the "white man bad/ red man good" propaganda he pimps in his dreadful movie.
In fact, Charles Martin Smith does a masterful job with what the writers left of the plot. I apologize to Carroll Ballard, Hiro Narita and Mr Smith for their interpretation of the book I love so dearly.