Eden's Reviews > Wanderlust and Lipstick: For Women Traveling to India

Wanderlust and Lipstick by Beth Whitman

Dec 31, 08

Read in December, 2008

This is one I purchased for the blatantly obvious reason. It's anecdotal, and I don't feel it gives any particularly brilliant insights on navigating a culture that is heavily controlled by men. On the other hand, i've travelled all over the world on my own before, so perhaps I already knew many of the lessons. Probably the best advice I received form the book is that there are areas specifically devoted to "women and foreigners" which ease and facilitate movement in a country where everything is complicated. On the other hand, a pal could have told me that and saved me the $17 bucks.

Not bad, but not great either.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wanderlust and Lipstick.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tonni (new)

Tonni I was on the fence about this book and your review helped me decide. Thanks.

Eden Tonni wrote: "I was on the fence about this book and your review helped me decide. Thanks."

Glad I could help. Having returned now from India, I will also say that she (pardon the expression contextually) whitewashes how bad the sexual harrassment can be, even if you're covered up stem to stern. Also I wish she had mentioned the particular cultural phenomenon where staring is not considered impolite, and is in a manner anywhere from acquisitional to hostile to alienating. On the other hand, the kids can be very friendly.

message 3: by Tonni (new)

Tonni I'm going with my sister in 3 months, we're meeting our dad, who lives there, about a week into our trip. But we will be in Delhi & Jaipur by ourselves. Any other tips? Did you do any outdoor kind of activities? We're thinking of going out to Corbett National Park for an elephant safari.