Rob's Reviews > Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Dec 31, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Recommended for: Kids who want their hearts broken.
Read in January, 2008 , read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** I just re-read the book before watching the movie. I'm sure I read it as a kid, but I'm reviewing this as an adult.

This book is sad. It's like My Girl. The characters are innocent and fun, and the world they create with their minds is playful. However, tragedies of this kind are not my thing. It seems that the point of the book is the tragedy, to have a boy's friend die. I'd rather spend my time reading something a little more up-beat.

I've said this before, I don't at all mind characters dying, and I love certain tragedies. This one is just a little too simple to really fire me up, and it just succeeds in making me depressed.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge to Terabithia.

Shannon The point isn't tragedy. It's coming to terms with it and continuing to grow.

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rob Shannon wrote: "The point isn't tragedy. It's coming to terms with it and continuing to grow."

Hi Shannon- I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't remember there being a lot of growth that happens afterwards for the protagonist, but admittedly it's been a few years since my last reading.

Courtenay She wrote the book because her son's friend, a girl, died tragically being hit by lightening. I thought she did a great job capturing the emotions. I do understand your point of view though.

message 4: by Krysten (new)

Krysten Quiles Just because you'd rather spend your time reading something more up-beat doesn't mean that this book isn't good.

Sucful i see u like spoil books?

message 6: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Spoiler alert! Seriously - that's a low blow, man...

message 7: by Kp (new)

Kp Novelist Well, if you don't like depressions- don't read A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket/Daniel Handler. Advice from someone who did.