Amy (Turn the Page)'s Reviews > Unspoken

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Oct 15, 12

Read from October 14 to 15, 2012

I'm dying to get my hands on this book. But have you seen the UK cover!!?? Awful. Truly awful.

So. Is it as great as everyone says it is? Is it worth paying double the price for this gorgeous cover instead? I think I know what my answer will be. I cannot abide having this Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) by Sarah Rees Brennan on my bookshelf.

______

2.5 stars I think. It was a bit jumbled despite have a very basic plot. Jared was potentially quite interesting but I liked Kami less and less as the book went on. Her constant witty replies began to grate. I think I'll read book two - but... yeah. Bit confused about all the praise tbh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken.

10/14/2012 page 80
20.0% "Enjoying this a lot so far :D"
10/15/2012 page 156
40.0% "Hmm. I'm finding some parts a little confusing. Like the sentence is missing a word or three and doesn't quite make sense."
10/15/2012 page 259
67.0% "Anone else think this book just doesnt make a lot of sense? It's jumping around all over the place."
10/15/2012 page 259
67.0% "It seems like the big mystery in this book could have been solved in like 30 pages if people actually communicated instead of keeping secrets and giving cryptic, vague answers all the time. I really hate that as a plot device."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah Eeeewww! The UK cover is truly heinous.

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo Holy crap, what is that UK cover? o.O

Steph Agreed! Geez!

Christina (Ensconced in Lit) Ugh that's really ugly. I had some issues with this book but overall really enjoyed it. I am a huge fan of Sarah Rees Brennan.

Anna On the bright side, the UK cover, for all that it's ugly, accurately depicts that the main character is Asian (Japanese) vs. white.

Amy (Turn the Page) ^ this is true. And now I've started reading it, I think the US cover is too young. I assumed this was a MG novel because of the cover. Now the UK cover seems more age appropriate but I still can't say I actually like it.

Anna Hmm, I don't read the US cover as young—I think it's gorgeous, and after reading on my Kindle I'm absolutely going to shell out for a hardback copy—but maybe the reason it looks young is that non-photo covers are still more prevalent in MG vs. YA?

Anna According to SRB's blog, the US cover will be changed for the paperback edition. No idea what they'll change it to, but here's hoping it doesn't get ugly-fied.

Steph I agree with Anna, I think the US cover is great. But I like the few and far between illustrated covers. Definitely more widely seen in MG books.

My hope about the UK cover is that the fact that they didn't even try when it came to the design doesn't make it a win for those jerks who seem to think covers with POC characters don't sell.

Amy (Turn the Page) I love illustrated covers :D this one is gorgeous but it does say MG to me, maybe because I only seem to see covers like this for younger readers, or because it has a sort of classic fairytale look about it I don't know. From what I've read so far, it just doesn't quite fit. At a glance the girl on the cover looks around 12, although looking closer I can see she as bit older than that.