Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > The Rake

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney

Another example of how romantic fiction is not fluff. This book was deep as the ocean. I loved how this book brought together two people who had been hurt or damaged by life, and helped them to find peace and love.

The Rake is an excellent portrayal of a person suffering from alcoholism. And coming from a family where both side has members who were alcoholics, I can testify to this. Reggie reminded me of a few of my uncles. They could have been better men had they not been under the influence of the drug that started as something they indulged in for fun, but became their lives and helped to destroy their lives.

The great thing about this book is that it was so well written that I couldn't turn away because I had seen too much of that behavior. Instead, I wanted to read more about Reggie's journey to sobriety.

Alyx also has issues. She is odd-eyed, meaning her eyes are different colors. She is also tall and buxom. In her mind, she is unattractive. And she heard a man that she adored dismiss her, so she ran off and gave herself to the first man who asked. Of course, he didn't want her for more than one night. Lesson learned, she retires to the country and gets a job as the steward to an absentee landlord.

This turns out to be the recently inherited property of Reginald, who is running away from London to try to get his life under control. This is how these two souls meet and find a love that helps them both to heal and gives them a hopeful future.

It's been a while since I read this one, but it is destined to always have a space on my keeper shelf. For the beauty of the storytelling, the compelling and realistic hero and heroine, and for the excellent handling of the tough subject of alcoholism.
42 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rake.

02/20 marked as: read

NorthernLightsGirl This sounds like it would be worth reading.

NorthernLightsGirl By the way Great Review! I really want to read this one.

BJ Rose I have read it and agree completely with Danielle's review. This is on my keeper shelf and has been read 2 or 3 times.

NorthernLightsGirl Thanks Danielle and BJ Rose. I've read nothing but good reviews for this book. I will have to read it soon. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I hope you enjoy The Rake. I love this book.

Cindy NorthernLightsGirl wrote: "This sounds like it would be worth reading. "
FYI - there are two versions of this book - The Rake is the rewritten version. The original was called The Rake and the Reformer. Both are strong reads - the rewrite seems to mostly add a little more sexual intensity. I couldn't decide which I liked better so both are on the shelves...

She wrote a related short story called 'Sunshine for Christmas' which is about Randolph [the boy she was engaged to back before she ran away:] and whom you meet when she is in London. It appears in one of the Christmas Regency books and in her collected Christmas Revels book [which I'm rereading at the moment .:]

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I will have to track down the Sunshine for Christmas story. Thanks, Cindy.

Melissa This book sounds awesome. I've put it on my to buy list. ^^

message 11: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Danielle! This one looks so good and really deep.

message 12: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Great review, Lady D.!

Cindy FYI - it's a rewrite of The Rake and The Reformer. [I've read it both ways - very little difference, though I admit to owning BOTH versions.] Definitely a keeper in either edition!

Reggie is introduced in her The Diabolical Baron.

MJP has been putting some of her older stuff as epubs on Regency Reads including a 3 story collection with Sunshine for Christmas in it.
[http://www.regencyreads.com/bookstore...]

message 14: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Thanks, Cindy!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Thanks, Lisa and Angelc.

I have the Diabolical Baron in my pile to read.

Elisa Well, this review pratically exonerates me from writing one of my own. Loved the story, the characters, the writing and pratically everything else in between.