Vee's Reviews > Heaven

Heaven by Randy Alcorn

Dec 31, 08

Read in February, 2007

I was not pleased with this book at all. We studied this as a bible study group. I just don't interpret the scriptures this way. I think if you've accepted Christ and the Holy Spirit lives in you, there are things you intrinsically know to be true without having any other prior knowledge. His depiction of heaven being backed up with such a LITERAL meaning of scripture just didn't jibe with me. I didn't understand the point of studying and knowing heaven with such ferocious detail. I mean... seriously? Who cares? I'm here on earth now, soon I'll be in heaven... why dwell on the future so much? Live here... now. This probably a good book for new believers but I wasn't thrilled with it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Travis This was not my favorite book of all time, I probably give it about 3 stars due to talking about what we will do apart from worship Jesus. I would prefer to hear more about what worship will be like, but there is plenty of reason to dwell in the future and in heaven. If we are not thinking of heaven and spending eternity with Jesus, and if that is no big deal, then what is our purpose for following Jesus. There are lots of promises of suffering and pain throughout the human life if you are a Christian and without at eternal perspective that we will dwell with Jesus forever on the new earth, the future looks pretty bleak and following Jesus doesn't sound that amazing. Christianity is not just to teach us morals and how to live. Living a moral life, at least in a worldly view is not that difficult, but being Holy as God is Holy is a high and difficult calling. Being like Jesus is not an easy thing to do. We need to focus so much on eternity with Jesus because if not, we will lose reason to fight for Him.

message 1: by Vee (new) - rated it 1 star

Vee Travis wrote: "This was not my favorite book of all time, I probably give it about 3 stars due to talking about what we will do apart from worship Jesus. I would prefer to hear more about what worship will be lik..."

"I would prefer to hear more about what worship will be like," -- Read 90 Minutes in Heaven (Piper).

"then what is our purpose for following Jesus" -- The purpose of following Jesus for ME is to learn to love admidst this chaos, to appreciate the life I've been given and live it abundantly, and above all.. to have joy, unspeakable joy, peace in my soul..
-... I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. - John 10:10

In my life, heaven is not the goal. The goal is to make heaven here on earth.