Antof9's Reviews > Elegance

Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1717549
's review
Dec 31, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: 2006-read, americana, women
Read in August, 2006

My review from BookCrossing: Read it on the plane on the way to Seattle for a work trip. If it *is* chick lit, it's some of the cleanest I've ever read. . .

A moderately interesting book, we walk through a self-made makeover as the main character (I've forgotten her name and the book is at the hotel) goes through a transformation after finding an old copy of a book on elegance from the 40s (?). It's actually very interesting, describing buying classic pieces for your wardrobe, etc., and I learned a little bit too. Of course her relationship with her husband is a disaster. . .

I'll see if I should release it or give it to my sister. It would be fun to wild release a book this trip, and this looks like the only candidate. Of course, given the title, I should have released it at the Hotel Monaco in Seattle and not saved it for week 2 when I'm at the Sheraton in Tacoma.

I noticed that I flipped down a page I wanted to make sure I noted here -- it's a description of a secondhand bookstore:

True, they're not for the faint of heart. Wild and chatoic, capricious and frustrating, there are certain physical laws that govern secondhand bookstores and like gravity, they're pretty much nonnegotiable. Paperback editions of D.H. Lawrence must constitute no less than 55 percent of all stock in any shope. Natural law also dictates that the remaining 45 percent consist of at least two shelves worth of literary criticism on Paradise Lost and there should always be an entire room in the basement devoted to military history which, by sheer coincidence, will be haunted by a man in his seventies. . . . Modern booksellers can't really compete with these eccentric charms. They keep regular hours, have central heating, and are staffed by freshly scrubbed young people in black T-shirts. They're devoid both of basement rooms and fallen Greek heroes in smelly tweeds. You'll find no dogs or cats curled up next to ancient space heaters like familiars nor the intoxicating smell of mold and mildew that could emanate equally from the unevenly stacked volumes or from the owner himself.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elegance.
Sign In »

No comments have been added yet.