Deb's Reviews > Love Anthony

Love Anthony by Lisa Genova

Sep 13, 2012

liked it

Well, after waiting over a year for my beloved author Lisa Genova to write another book equal to Still Alice and Left neglected, I have to say I am severely disappointed. This book did not have what ever it was those books had. I felt for the two mothers/wives who were the main characters. There just wasn't enough character development. I didn't feel I knew them. After not writing for years, Beth sits down and this novel just comes to her. Yes, it's supposed to be magical but it didn't feel like that. The mother of Anthony was grieving but I never felt her grief. The only person I did feel for was Anthony but that wasn't till close to the end. From the synopsis I thought I was going to read a novel about two women who were grieving and they deeply connected with each other. I never felt a connection between them at all. In fact the story of Beth was never even drawn to a conclusion and Olivia didn't have much of one.
I apologize for my lack of a good review but I am reeling from confusion and disappointment over a book I so looked forward to reading. I am just sad and unfulfilled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Anthony.

message 1: by Deb (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deb I wanted to add an I'm Sorry to Lisa Genova. I really wanted to love this book. :(

Rebecca I agree! I was left unfulfilled for the same reasons, unfortunately. Thanks for your review.

Cricket Vaughan I loved the ending and as a special Ed teacher, I felt that information about autism is spot on and accurate. Anthony's voice seemed very much that of someone with autism: the perseveration, the obsession, the ritualistic behavior. I did feel the characters Beth and Olivia were a bit underdeveloped. I did not know them as much as I wanted to.

Sara Goldenberg Her 2nd book didn't equal her first, in my opinion. But that bar was set quite high, her first was excellent !!!!!

Marlene I agree with your review. I only gave the book 2 stars. I don't think she portrayed the effect autism has on a family and the things they had to go through. She just started with the separation and that was it.