Kinter Bernard's Reviews > The Time Keeper

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom

10203288
Sep 24, 12

Read from September 19 to 24, 2012

I wasn't sure how I would like this book going in, as I had never read Mitch Albom before, passing his work off as kind of sappy. But I read the synopsis and the concept intrigued me. The story follows three different characters who initially, seem unrelated. One of them is also on a completely different timeline. But that's what makes it interesting.

Dor is a man obsessed with counting and measuring things before anyone else thought to do so. His biggest obsession is measuring the days, for which he creates the "first" sun dial. He ends up angering God, as man isn't supposed to be aware of time, since he will only want more of it and try to control it. He is exiled as Father Time, where he is forced to listen to all of man's requests for time to be stopped, move faster, or even rewind.

Sarah is a high school student who yearns to be popular. When events spiral out of control for her, she just wants it to be over, for the pain to be gone. She wants to give up the rest of her time.

Victor is a shrewd 80-something businessman with more money than he could spend in two lifetimes, residences in exotic locales, and a loving wife ten years his junior. His terminal cancer have left a shell of a man who needs dialysis three times a week to keep him alive. Not being used to losing, Victor decides he will fight this battle and win it. He tries to find a way to cheat death. Victor wants more time.

Albom very cleverly weaves the stories together while telling a modern-day fable. The moral is to make the most of the time you are given, for it is a gift from God. Ad you never know who you will hurt if you try to change the amount of time you have left. A very good book and a quick read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Keeper.

09/20/2012

Erin I can't wait to read this! I love all of his stuff. My favorite book is the five people you meet in heaven. Do you have the kindle version if this book?

Erin I meant of this book, as in his new one.

Kinter Bernard Erin, I borrowed the Kindle version from the Prince William Public Library system. If you have an active library card, you can sign up to get eBooks. http://princewilliam.lib.overdrive.co... I don't know if that will get you there or not. If it doesn't, walk into one of the branches and ask about ebooks. They should have a flyer to tell you how to set up.

Erin Our library system has ebooks too, I'll have to check if they have this one. Thanks for the reminder. I definitely recommend his other books.

Erin they dont have an ebook but i put my name on the waiting list for a hard copy. hopefully it wont be too long. thanks for your review!