Jamie's Reviews > Look Homeward, Angel

Sep 13, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: the-dirty-south
Read from September 12 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

Books are made out of books and many a book has been made out of this one. It lays such a brickwork, you’re almost obliged to read it, fated. But loving it? I couldn’t, not quite. After the first third I was dying for signs of Philip Carey, finding it so paltry and frustrating after something like Of Human Bondage. A metric ton of adjectives and a tenth of the power or story.

The ruinous Gants are mighty memorable, though, and this is the raw material for so many others. Thank you, Thomas Wolfe.

“At last, thought Eugene, I am getting an education. This must be good writing, because it seems so very dull. When it hurts, the dentist says, it does you good. Democracy must be real, because it is so very earnest. It must be a certainty, because it is so elegantly embalmed in this marble mausoleum of language.”

Eugene, you ironist, you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Homeward, Angel.

12/02/2016 marked as: read

Jackson Burnett Jamie, you can hold your head up in North Carolina now.

Justin Haynes Move on to the next Wolfe and come back to it. Each builds on the other, though if you find the prose overly adjective laden and frustrating you may not like the rest!

Jamie I’m not much for sentimentality and romance, so I think that’s what I found so frustrating. Faulkner can be just as dense with language and I love him, so I’m tempted to say that’s the big difference between the two. That, or Of Human Bondage really spoiled me with the comparison.

Jackson— I finally earned my merit badge.