Kristyn's Reviews > Cross Bones

Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs

Dec 31, 08

Read in December, 2008

I would actually give this book 2.5 stars if that was a possibility. Since it's not, I rounded down.

I'm a huge fan of the TV show "Bones." So when I encountered this book by "Bones" creator Kathy Reichs at a second-hand bookstore, I grabbed it, thinking that of course I would like the book too.

I was kind of wrong. I didn't hate the book, but it took me some time to get through it. Reichs's writing style is somewhat staccato - her descriptive prose is written in half-thoughts, like she's checking off items on a list, sort of the way her brain probably works while she's examining skeletal remains at her day job. Unfortunately, we're not all forensic anthropologists, so as a layperson, I'd appreciate a little more insight into the subject matter she's writing about. And even though it was published only two months later, the book feels like a "Me too!" companion to "The DaVinci Code."

That said, I just picked up another of her books at the same store. It cost a dollar, and I don't like to dismiss an author out of hand, having read only one of her books. So we'll see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cross Bones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chrissy This is my 7th book of hers in this series. I don't know why I bother. This one is different in setting from the other ones, but if you go back to the first in the series, this Temperance is nothing like the show. She's divorced, has a college age daughter, was raised Catholic and is a recovering alcoholic. She also isn't socially awkward like on the show. I think the show is far and above better than the books. The way she has the main character ask herself questions all the time...she writes every book that same annoying way.

message 2: by Arlene (new)

Arlene It's a shame that you saw the TV series first. I read the books first and than watched the show. I feel the show is so inferior as to not even make a comparison.You should start with the first in the series.

Linda Rowland I was so excited about the TV series since I have enjoyed so much the books. Tempe's problem with alcohol is such a big part of her that when in the first episode she has a glass of champagne (I think it was) that I could go no further. I believe that it is a good series, but not her characters. Not at all.