Shirley Schwartz's Reviews > Bones Are Forever

Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs

Sep 16, 2012

Read from September 13 to 16, 2012

I still enjoyed this book, but after reading some of the reviews, I have to somewhat agree with them. I am not a fan of the TV show "Bones". I find it affected and the character that plays Tempe is not likeable and not believable. And I have noticed since that show has been on TV, the novels are suffering somewhat. I think Ms. Reich changed her writing style to be more like a screen writer than a novel writer, and the two are very different indeed. Most television scripts are written for an average Grade 9 age group and maturity. That is how they get the most people interested to watch. Novels are not like that and nor should they be. We expect detailed character development, a sophisticsted plot and superior writing skills. We used to get that with Tempe Brennan books. Now, maybe not so much. Even so, I did enjoy the book because of the superior forensic details and I loved the setting. I have lived near Edmonton Alberta for many years so it was wonderful to see it portrayed so well in this book. We also got a close look at Yellowknife NWT and that was interesting as well. And I didn't mind the information on gold and diamond mining, I always find I learn things when I read a Kathy Reichs book. I didn't care for the ending as it seemed rushed and contrived, but the rest of the book was acceptable. I will continue to read this series, and continue not to watch "Bones".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bones Are Forever.