J. Niimi's Reviews > Live from New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live

Live from New York by Tom Shales
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
M 50x66
's review
Jan 26, 09

Read in December, 2008

Loads and loads of interesting, behind-the-scenes interpersonal stuff (Harry Shearer & Jon Lovitz are impossible prima donnas; Gilda's bulimia; Laraine & Garrett's respective heroin and crack habits; Farley's tragic emulation of Belushi; etc.) Great input from the writers, as well as cast members old and new, production people, guest hosts, etc. Hard to put down! Only big flaw of the book is when the authors interject their own paragraphs here and there, to flesh out the context: their purple prose is almost invariably cringe-worthy. (In an oral history, where 95% of the book is transcription, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with solid copy for the other 5%.) Also a bit too Lorne-worshipping, and whiny in the way celeb auto-bios can be. Worth a read for the candid testimony, though, and wacky anecdotes (cf. Chris Farley walking into a read-thru butt-naked, in an imitation of the "It puts the lotion on its skin" guy from Silence of the Lambs, which ends with Farley sticking a golf club up his ass and then licking it.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live from New York.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

12/30/2008 page 356
58.55%

No comments have been added yet.