Lori Anderson's Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Jan 06, 09

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2009

I'm not going to talk about the story (which is fabulous) but how ripped off I felt by this Barnes and Noble edition. Nowhere on the front cover did it say this was an ABRIDGED version. It wasn't until you'd flipped through the pages that you saw that notation. For someone who only knew that yes, the book was supposed to be long, the edition looked right -- at 600-odd pages, it's a thick book. But how irritating to see an end note, flip to it, and find the abridger say, "Here's where we'll end with this character, but in the unabridged version, he goes on to do this and this and this."

So now I need to hunt down an unabridged version.

If you don't have the time for the unabridged version, I'm supposing this one is ok. I don't know what I've missed, and the story was still terrific. But be warned, it's not the entire book.

Lori Anderson

Lori Anderson:The Store
Lori Anderson:The Blog
Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Juliette I just read this book and now I see you too were upset over this Barnes & Noble debacle. I am so pissed off about this abridged version.

Lori Anderson I found the unabridged, but I need to let some time go by, big time, before I tackle it again.