John Podlaski's Reviews > Night of the Purple Moon

Night of the Purple Moon by Scott Cramer

Sep 16, 2012

Read from September 13 to 16, 2012

I don't normally read dystopia genre books, but with all the free giveaways on Amazon, there is no risk in trying something new. I was pleasantly surprised by "Night of the Purple Moon". The author, Scott Cramer, does a wonderful job in developing his characters in the story - sometimes making it difficult for the reader to comprehend that these are all prepubescent youngsters trying to survive without adults. The kids are not at risk of turning into zombies, but they must eat, find shelter and keep busy. A member in the group steps up and leads this group forward. They are all fortunate to be on a secluded island and not influenced or harassed by roving gangs - intent on taking everything you have.

There is no cure during the first year and their only enemy is "puberty". Many of the preteens don't even understand what puberty is, but soon find out as the older kids begin dying from this plague that has engulfed the planet. I was saddened when some of the main characters died and wondered how the group would continue without them. The story gains momentum during the last 20%; the leaders are dying and find themselves in a race against time. Once the reader gets to this point, there is no putting down the book for the night. You are stuck and pulled into this thriller...anxious to see if they succeed or not. I am looking forward to the next work by this author.

Excellent read and well worth 5 stars. Highly recommended!

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Purple Moon.