Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Pressure Head

Pressure Head by J.L. Merrow

Sep 27, 12

bookshelves: m-m
Read from September 18 to 23, 2012

"What a plumber?" I asked innocently.
"I'll try and control my raging homo desires," I said as dryly as I could.

Photobucket

After reading and loving Muscling Through I was looking forward to another very good story written by the talented J.L. Merrow. As it was, she did not disappoint at all. Then again, I find it quite interesting that both books struggle with the same shortcomings—at least from my point of view.

Overall it was a real pleasure to read Pressure Head. I totally dig the author’s excellent writing, her sense of humor and the Britishism. Her characters are quite unique and Tom is so priceless and well-drawn. He made me smile time and again. The guy is a bit snarky which made him all the more multilayered as well as endearing to me. Furthermore, the plot is well-developed, the dialogue is witty and hilarious and the writing is very enthralling.

(…)"You should put it on your business cards--Tom Paretski, the pocket-sized plumber. No job too small."
"And again with the height jokes. What do you have on yours? Phil Morrison, the muscle-bound moron?"
"Now, come on--that's a poor effort. How about Private Dick--the biggest in the business?"
I grinned. "So is it, then?"
His turn to say, "What?"
"The biggest. Come to that, is it private, or can anyone apply?" I took another forkful of plaice.
(…)
"They can apply," he said at last. "Doesn't mean they'll get the job."

What did not work for me, though, was the lack of chemistry and build-up. The sex scene is way better than in Muscling Through, however, I’ve had a hard time to imagine these two guys together, as in having a loving relationship. In fact, I felt that there was a lack of "relationship development". While the story mainly revolves around the murder mystery these two guys were so not tuned to the same wavelength. I have to wonder if I am the only one who didn’t “feel” it. Bitching at one another is all right as long as it doesn’t kill the chemistry. And boy, did they bitch from the get-go. Furthermore, I would have liked to get to know Phil a bit better. Even at the end of the story, he remained a mystery to me--sort of. I really can’t claim to know him but on the other hand, he is a great hunk, definitely delicious and a sight for sore eyes.

Despite my minor issues Pressure Head is a very worthwhile and entertaining read. If you are a fellow m-m lover and you haven't read anything by J.L. Merrow, then it's time to give her a try. Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pressure Head.

09/18/2012
5.0% ""Course, you might get on all right with him. He's one of your lot, not that you'd know it to look at him." "What a plumber?" I asked innocently. "Piss off. And he's not a bloody psychic either. He's queer, all right? And if I catch you two canoodling on police time, I'm taking pictures and bunging them on the Internet." "I'll try and control my raging homo desires," I said as dryly as I could. Good!! :-))" 1 comment
5.0% " Photobucket
27.0% " Photobucket
One of the guys is a blond hunk. Yum. So far I'm liking it a lot. Witty dialogue!" 22 comments
50.0% " Photobucket
A very enjoyable read. Well-written and witty. Tom is pretty priceless although I prefer the gorgeous blond hunk. ;-)" 2 comments
09/21/2012
78.0% " Photobucket
Love the writing, the plot and the author's sense of humor but I'd like to feel some heat which happens right now..." 11 comments
09/23/2012
100.0% "Love the author's writing and her sense of humor. But on the other hand, I've had some minor issues."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Girlgeorge ooooh, this sounds good. Can't wait to hear what you think

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Girlgeorge wrote: "ooooh, this sounds good. Can't wait to hear what you think"

LOL Will keep you posted, G.

KindleRomance Reviews Love the image!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Love the image!!"

Thank you, Kris. It's pretty niiice. Lol

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy Great review Baba--and love the pics!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Joy wrote: "Great review Baba--and love the pics!"

Thank you, Joy! The blond hunk is delicious. ;-)

Heller I think we had some similar thoughts on this one. Such a good read though, Merrow is a great writer. Great review, Baba!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Baba, I'm adding this!

Deeze I'm one of the few that did feel the chemistry between these two, although I think a lot had a problem with it. I guess I just saw all the snark from Phil as his way of hiding his feelings due to thinking Tom could never forgive him about the past. (thats the way I choose to see it lol).

But I do agree we needed more background on Phil. I'm really hoping we get another book with these two. Maybe another case but this time we learn more about Phil. I still keep thinking back to a scene where Phil is watching some kids playing with a look on his face that was never explained. (view spoiler) Just an idea lol.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Heller wrote: "I think we had some similar thoughts on this one. Such a good read though, Merrow is a great writer. Great review, Baba!"

Thank you, H! She is an excellent author, I just wish I'd feel the chemistry. But there's still hope and I'll be reading her next book, that's for sure. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Great review Baba, I'm adding this!"

Thanks, Blacky!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter I guess I just saw all the snark from Phil as his way of hiding his feelings due to thinking Tom could never forgive him about the past. (thats the way I choose to see it lol).

That's a good explanation, Deeze! :)

And I'm glad that you feel the same way about Phil. I would gladly read another story about these two guys. BTW, your spoiler is very interesting!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review, Baba! And what a quote! I got a gooddddd laugh :)

message 14: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Wonderful review as always, Baba! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Lazy Jeff wrote: "Great review, Baba! And what a quote! I got a gooddddd laugh :)"

Lol I thought you'd like it, Daria. I really like her sense of humor. Thanks for your comment, my lovely.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Laura wrote: "Wonderful review as always, Baba! :)
I haven’t read anything by Merrow yet, but plan to soon. Lack of chemistry in this one though, Baba? I gotta have the sparks and chemistry. :)"

Thank you, Laura. Well, my friend Deeze felt the chemistry. I loved Muscling Through, however, I've had the same issues (lack of chemistry and not enough build-up). Oh, and the sex scenes in Muscling Through are kinda bad. But that's only my opinion, others will think differently. If you want to give this author a go then I suggest that you read her books for the sake of her excellent writing. The dialogue is witty and her characters are interesting.

So, it's up to you to make a decision... :-)

message 17: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Me decide? :o I let the flip of a coin do the dirty work for me. ;)
I already own Hard Tail, so I might start there. Have you read that one yet?

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Great review, as always, Baba! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Laura wrote: "Me decide? :o I let the flip of a coin do the dirty work for me. ;)
I already own Hard Tail, so I might start there. Have you read that one yet?"

No, I haven't read it yet, Laura. Would like to read your thoughts on it, though. Keep me posted please. :-)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kelly wrote: "Great review, as always, Baba! :)"

Thank you, Kelly! :)

message 21: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Will do! I'm looking forward to checking out a new author's style. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Laura wrote: "Will do! I'm looking forward to checking out a new author's style. :)"

That's good, Laura. I hope it's going to work out for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :-)

Bibek Thapa Loved the review, Baba! I couldn't agree more.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Bibek wrote: "Loved the review, Baba! I couldn't agree more."

Thank you, Bibek! :)

Ilhem Oh, that first quote was hilarious!
Great review, Baba.:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Ilhem wrote: "Oh, that first quote was hilarious!
Great review, Baba.:)"

Thank you, Ilhem. It was fun, that's for sure. :))